Sunday, January 22, 2012

Gatsby's Narration

     I wanted to re write the scene starting on page 84 and going through 86. this is the scene where Daisy is coming over to Nick's house for tea unaware that Gatsby would be there.

      An hour later the front door opened nervously, and dressed in a white flannel suit, silver shirt, and gold-colored tie I hurried in. :
" Is everything all right?" I asked wanting not a single thing to be wrong.
" The grass looks fine, if that's what you mean." Nick replied
" What grass?" I inquired blankly. " Oh, the grass in the yard." I looked out the window but didn't really look at it.
"Looks very good," I said vaguely. "One of the papers said they thought the rain would stop about four. I think it was The Journal. Have you got everything you need in the shape of -- of tea?". I needed everything to be taken care of so I wouldn't have to worry about anything. Nick took me into the pantry, where I looked a litte reproachfully at the Finn. Together we scrutinized the twelve lemon cakes from the delicatessen shop.
"Will they do?" he asked.
"Of course, of course! They're fine!" Not trying to worry too much about the cake and I added hollowly, " old sport."
At about half-past three the rain died down into a damp mist. I looked through a copy of Clay's Economics with no intention on really understanding the material trying to find a way to past the time. Finally without certainty I got up and informed Nick that I was going home.
" Why's that?" he asked
I didn't think she was coming. " I can't wait all day"
" Don't be silly; it's just two minutes to four."
I sat down in a miserable state and simultaneously there was the sound of a motor turning into the lane. We both jumped up and Nick went into the yard.
The car door opened anand I knew that Daisy had arrived for tea. I left the living room and exited through the back door. I wanted to come over to Nick's house as in my original plan not already be there.  I reappeared at Nick's front door with a light dignified knock anxiously awaiting to see her. When he opened the door I turned pale as death, my hands in my coat pocket, I was extremely nervous. I had waited for this day so long and it was finally here. I turned sharply into the hall and disappeared into the living room where Daisy was politely seated with such beautiful appearance that my words cannot express.

 
            
      

No comments:

Post a Comment