Friday, December 2, 2011

My red hunting hat


        In the Catcher in the Rye Holden Caufield wears this red hunting hat quite often. What is the significance of this hat? First off a hunting hat is something worn by hunters to stand out so that other hunters won't mistakenly shoot them. And also because deers supposedly are color blind to the color red and their are unable to distinguish the hunters from their other surroundings. Holden's hat was symbolic. Referencing back to the meaning of what a hunting hat really is the hunters are him and other people seeking out and trying to find who the real people are. They can see him because they have qualities in common in that they are real people (supposedly). The deers are the phonies or the people that Holden believe to be phony. They can't see him or see the burden that they are to him because he never comes out and tells them. They are blind to his real emotions and feelings. So is Holden phony?

       What is my hunting hat? I think my hunting hat is my appearance specifically my hair and the color of my skin. It makes me stand out and fit in depending on the circumstances. My old school was predominantly african american and people would constantly ask me if I was mixed or white or whatever. I didn't have a problem with it but I am all african american , just very light skinned with long hair, But it makes me stand out because  although I am black my light skin complexion makes me stand out. On the other hand I can also fit in. In places such as Whitney Young where there is a more diverse crowd of students I blend in more in that there are a lot of other people that looked like me or were in my same situation. And then also people really don't care as much because they are used to seeing so many different races that it doesn't matter if im all black or not.

       So my red hunting hat is my skin complexion and my long hair because most people don't think that I can be all black with long hair and light complexion. This makes me stand out but I can also blend in.


             

No comments:

Post a Comment