Thursday, September 15, 2011

Arrivals......There goes the Neighborhood

 Blogs are very difficult for me to write because I debate on if I should jus write what I feel and let it flow or go about it an organized way with paragraphs and paragraphs of information,  but for this particular post I guess I will combine a little bit of both into one.
      When I think of the title arrivals.... there goes the neighborhood I think of society and how they tend to stereotype certain people. So maybe society thinks if someone different( not similar to them) comes along the neighborhood will become worse and do down hill. Personally I don't think I have experienced such stereotypical behavior before so I couldn't tell you how it feels or even relate myself to that type of situation, because for as long as I have known.... I've lived in the same neighborhood.
      Going back to what we've talked about in class over the past few days I think Phillis Wheatley and Christopher Colombus went through similar situations. Phillis having being a slave trying to fit in with "white folk" as they say faced discrimination. She worked in the house closer to her slave master's family, and was taught how to read and write. Well in that time slaves weren't allowed to be educated so Phillis in a sense was above the pack somewhat becoming a white and becoming part of this family. Many whites didn't appreciate or neccessarily like how Phillis Wheatley being black could be so close to whites in society. So her story story comes to mind when we talk about The title.
      As for Christopher Colombus  he relates to the topic because he invaded these native islands and the native people weren't welcoming to his arrival. He in a way insulted their culture and beliefs and the natives didn't respond to that very well, refusing to trade any valuable tools. They weren't familar with his ideas and ways of life and neither was he with theirs so I believe that the natives were basically saying that his arrival to their land was turning the islands wrong and disrupting their ways.

1 comment:

  1. McCarthy-
    Unfortunately when two groups come together it always seems that one, usually the weaker, loses most of what it had previous to the encounter. Columbus failed to see the value of the "Indians" world and instead labeled it as uncivilized and need of conversion and transformation.

    Although Wheatley was given a great gift- education, the circumstances for it were deplorable and unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete